I OWE YOU A LETTER ABOUT BRAZIL unveils three generations of a Brazilian family radically affected by the military dictatorship (1964 – 1985), creating a complex landscape of the family bonds. In search of her father, an ex-political prisoner, the filmmaker untangles her grandmother's intimate writings in an attempt to understand the story of their family against the brutal backdrop of the authoritarian regime. Between the country’s recent past and the turbulent present context, the film investigates the persistence of silence as a tool to erase memory.
This film participated in the following labs:
- Rough Cut Lab I Festival Intl’ Visions du Réel 2018 (Switzerland);
- Puerto Lab IV | Festival Intl’ de Cine de Cartagena das Índias – FICCI 2018 (Colombia);
- Doculab.9 | Festival Internacional de Cine de Guadalajara – FICG 2017 (Mexico);
- 8º Brasil Cinemundi | Mostra de Cinema de Belo Horizonte 2017 (Brazil);
- Work in Progress | ChileDoc Conecta 2017 (Chile);
- Pitching Documental | DocMontevideo 2015 (Uruguay).
This filme will have its World Premiere at IDFA Competition for First Appearance 2019